Who doesn't love a good chocolate peanut butter combo? It's a match made in dessert heaven. But what if you could enjoy this delectable duo without the guilt? Enter the healthy alternative to a dessert recipe for chocolate peanut butter buckeyes. These little bites of joy will satisfy your sweet tooth while keeping you on track with your health goals. So, let's dive into this guilt-free indulgence!
What are Chocolate Peanut Butter Buckeyes?
Before we get into the healthy version, let's talk about the original. Chocolate peanut butter buckeyes are a classic treat originating from the Buckeye State (Ohio, for those not in the know). They are named after the buckeye tree nuts (and our beloved Ohio State Buckeyes!), which resemble the chocolate-covered peanut butter balls. The traditional recipe calls for loads of butter, powdered sugar, and chocolate chips. Delicious? Yes. Healthy? Not so much.
Introducing the Healthy Twist
Now, let's put a healthy spin on this beloved dessert. Instead of butter and powdered sugar, we'll be using natural ingredients that are good for your body and taste buds. Plus, we will add some grass fed protein powder to make the treat even healthier. Here's what you'll need:
- 1 ½ c. old fashioned oats
- ½ c. peanut butter
- 2 scoops Propello Life Vanilla Bean Protein Powder
- 3 T. honey
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- Splash of coconut milk
- 1 bag dark chocolate chip (at least 70% cocoa) - you will use between 1/2 cup and 1 cup of the dark chocolate chips
- 1 t. coconut oil
- Optional: a pinch of sea salt (because we're fancy like that)
1. In a food processor (or blender), combine the peanut butter, honey (or maple syrup), old fashioned oats, whey protein powder, vanilla extract, coconut milk, and sea salt. Blend until well combined and smooth consistency.
2. Roll the mixture into small balls, about the size of a buckeye nut. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
3. Pop the baking sheet into the freezer for about 30 minutes to firm up the peanut butter balls.
4. While the balls are chilling, melt the dark chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until smooth and melted. Or you can use a double boiler to melt the chocolate by placing a small pot with water on the stove, with a glass bowl on top. Heat up the water, add the dark chocolate chips and coconut oil into the glass bowl and stir as it melts. Once the chocolate coating is melted and ready, it is time to coat the buckeyes balls.
5. Using a toothpick or a skewer, dip each peanut butter ball into the melted chocolate, leaving a small portion uncovered to resemble the buckeye nut. Place the dipped balls back on the parchment paper.
6. Once all the balls are dipped, return the baking sheet to the freezer for another 15 minutes to allow the chocolate to set.
7. Remove from the freezer and enjoy your guilt-free, heavenly chocolate peanut butter protein buckeyes!
Why You'll Love These Healthy Buckeyes
These healthy buckeyes are not only a delicious alternative to the traditional recipe, but they also come with some added benefits:
- They are packed with protein from the natural peanut butter and Propello Life Whey Protein.
- The dark chocolate provides antioxidants and is lower in sugar than milk chocolate.
- They are gluten-free, making them suitable for those with dietary restrictions.
- You can satisfy your sweet tooth without derailing your health goals.
So, the next time you're craving something sweet, whip up a batch of these chocolate peanut butter protein buckeye bites. They're the perfect guilt-free treat that will leave you feeling satisfied and smiling. Happy indulging!
Check out these other related recipes